Learn the Issues
Scope, impact and underlying causes
- How Racism Harms Pregnant Women – and What Can Help
- A personal story and some data on the scope of the issue
- Shalon Irving’s story as a case study to highlight the situation
- National Geographic looks at the issue and the women working to improve things.
- Careful now! The Black Pregnant Body is NOT Defective!
- Understand some of the trickier parts of working towards a solution, and why everyone needs to get involved.
- America is Failing it’s Black Mothers
- Why are black pregnant women viewed as incompetent?
What you can do
Practical things to make it better
Download the Black Mamas Matter toolkit and read it over. Find 2 things you can implement personally and/or professionally.
Consider focusing some of your continuing education time, budget and attention to building understanding of these issues. Some options:
Follow women on social media who are actively working for change, and listen and believe their lived experiences and expertise. Some I suggest include:
I would love to hear suggestions for other resources, social media accounts, and information I can share on this topic!